Mwalimu Andrew- Sunday Nation

Tuesday 1 July 2014

***Misadventure on the Syokimau train***


Mnakumbuka zile train za Syokimau...?

Just as I am the most successful person in Mwisho wa Lami, my brother Pius is among the most successful people in Nairobi.
After moving from Umoja estate to B South a year ago, Pius recently shifted again – this time to a bigger house. Pius did not move to an ordinary place. No, he moved to Syokimau, the estate where the richest and biggest people in Nairobi live.



As the boda boda motorcyclist who took me to Pius’s home told me, most ministers, MPs and company managers live in Syokimau – and the land costs millions of shillings. He showed me homes of several Cabinet ministers and permanent secretaries whom I will not mention here since I do not want trouble with anyone.
I had never heard of Syokimau until I received an SMS from Pius inviting me for a thanksgiving service at his new house last weekend. Although the service was scheduled to start at 2pm on New Year’s Day, Pius requested me to arrive early so that I could help him with preparations. A good number of his friends as well as close relatives had been invited.
No doubt
Knowing Pius well, I had no doubt in my mind that food and drinks would be in plenty. Therefore, although our exams began on January 2, I was not going to miss Pius’ event.
I left KU early on Tuesday morning, and took an Athi River-bound matatu from town. When I alighted, I took a boda boda motorcycle and, although we got lost several times, I was at Pius’s early enough. I arrived to find Pius, his wife Immaculate, and Daisy, his cousin-in-law, busy with the preparations for their big day.
I joined them in arranging tables, and was later on sent to buy soda. When I returned, Daisy served me breakfast but I couldn’t talk to her as much I would have liked as Immaculate was watching us.
At around midday, we left with Pius to the supermarket and returned at around 2pm to find a few visitors around and the celebration started. The guests started leaving at 5pm.
I had wanted to leave early to go and read for exams but Pius asked me to stay and help him to clear things. We dismantled the tent, and returned the borrowed chairs to neighbours’ homes. We finished these chores at 6pm and Pius said it was still too early for me to leave for KU.
Mercedes Platz
“Let’s go have one kutoa hii uchovu,” he said. This was not an offer I could not turn down, exams or no. I entered Pius’s Mercedes Platz and he drove to Connections, the biggest pub I have ever seen. Many trailer trucks were parked on the roadside. Pius’ friends joined us.
Since there was no Keg around, I settled on Summit, my second favourite drink.
“Dre, wacha kuogopa, KU ni hapa tu,” said Pius. “I will use the Pass-By to take you.” He ordered more drinks for me. There was no way I was going to leave such a golden opportunity. It was 10pm when we left Connections.
Immaculate had been calling Pius every other minute and so we went straight home. She could not allow Pius to drop me at KU.
“Eat and go to bed, I will take you to KU first thing tomorrow morning,” Pius offered.
By 6am the following morning Pius was still asleep. I had not read as I had not carried any books. It was almost 7 when Pius woke up and we left.
“But I can’t go to town,” he said as we left. “The traffic jam is terrible.”
“So ulikuwa unanidanganya?” I asked him, afraid that I would miss my paper.
“You will be there on time,” he said. “Let me take you to the train.”
I tried to protest but I could not change Pius’s mind. He drove to Syokimau Railway Station. It was the first time in my life to enter a railway station and I was apprehensive. But the layout of the station made me forget that I had not prepared for my paper and I might even miss it.
The station was clean and well arranged. There were a good number of waiting passengers but there was no train.
Despite this, Pius paid and gave me the ticket.
“You will in town in 20 minutes,” he said then left, clearly going back to sleep.
I joined the other waiting passengers and we were assured that the train was on its way. Soon we heard the unmistakable sound of the locomotive and we passed through the glass opening to see it park. The engine changed positions and we boarded five minutes later.
It was the first time on a train officially. I sat down but could not find a seat belt so I clutched at the seats tightly.
My neighbours seemed quite relaxed as the train pulled out of the station. I wasn’t sure where we were going as I could not see any road but just bushes and slums. We passed several tunnels and for a moment I thought we were going to Mombasa.
Soon, the makanga came around asking to see our tickets. I couldn’t find mine. I checked in the four pockets on my Kaunda suit and the four on my trousers and, although I could find many receipts and papers, the ticket was nowhere to be seen.
Couldn’t find ticket
“Wewe utashukishwa,” my neighbour told me when I informed her I could not find my ticket. I looked outside and we seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. Thin drops of sweat dropped down my face when I imagined that I would be off-loaded.
The makanga was fast approaching. Once again I upturned all my eight pockets but the ticket was still missing. We passed another tunnel and I feared I would be left there.
“Ticket?” he asked when he reached our seat.
“Nilikuwa nayo sijui imeenda wapi,” I said. I got out my wallet but there was nothing here there too.
“Buda utawacha ukora,” he said then beckoned me to stand up and follow him. “Railway tuko na police na hata cell hapa ndani ya train.”
Feared for the worst
I actually saw two police officers in the next coach and feared for the worst. I stood up and followed him but after walking three steps, my neighbour discovered my ticket on the seat.
I was so relieved. I picked it up and showed the conductor who let me off. I took time to study it and noticed it was written “Return Ticket.”
We were at the Nairobi Station even before I could ask what return meant. It wasn’t even 7.30am. I joined the long queue of passengers walking out.
Before I left the station, I asked what “Return” meant and I was told I could use the ticket on another trip to Syokimau.
I rushed to board a KU-bound matatu, arriving in time for my paper. You can all guess how I fared.
As for the return ticket, I kept it very safely in one of the innermost compartments of my wallet. I can’t wait for April to use it on my next visit to Syokimau!"

April is here, see you at Syokimau!!

2 comments:

  1. MRS. IRENE QUERY FINANCE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN {mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    God bless you Mum, I will not stop telling the world about your kindness in my life, I am a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Mrs.Rachel Alex, and I am from Singapore . A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE, that they can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. I have been in a financial mess for the pass 7 months now,She advised I give it a try so I mailed her and explain all about my financial situation to her, she therefore took me through the loan process and gave me a loan of $180,000.00 at a very low interest rate of 3% and today I am a proud business owner and can now take good care of my kids, If you must contact any firm to get any amount of loan you need with a low interest rate of 3% and better repayment schedule, please contact MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE via email{mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  2. MRS. IRENE QUERY FINANCE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN {mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    God bless you Mum, I will not stop telling the world about your kindness in my life, I am a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Mrs.Rachel Alex, and I am from Singapore . A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE, that they can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. I have been in a financial mess for the pass 7 months now,She advised I give it a try so I mailed her and explain all about my financial situation to her, she therefore took me through the loan process and gave me a loan of $180,000.00 at a very low interest rate of 3% and today I am a proud business owner and can now take good care of my kids, If you must contact any firm to get any amount of loan you need with a low interest rate of 3% and better repayment schedule, please contact MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE via email{mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete